Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bastard is a funny word!

Greetings...

Sorry I have basically fallen off the face of the earth this last month. I recently moved to Madison, WI and now I am able to find more of my favorite beers in every liquor store. I figured that with my behavior of ignoring our readers and our passion that it would be best to review a beer that sums me up in a few words; the Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone Brewing in California. Stone Brewing is known for making strong beers with attitude that are bold and creative!

I was working in a liquor department on the west side of Madison earlier this week and two older women approached me. They were looking for a certain beer for one of their sons, but were quite hesitant to say the title but said the bottle had a gargoyle on it. After I said arrogant bastard, one of the women proclaimed " yup, that's him!". I assume she was talking about her son, but she was also searching out an incredible beer. The description on the bottle says it all....
"This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory-maybe something with a multi0million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you its made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing your words as you read this."

The description may sound like I am a beer snob, but we all know that's a lie. This full bodied American Strong Ale is dark brown, floral, very hoppy and smooth for being 7.2%alc/vol. It smells like fresh hops and pine, but is so easy to drink that it is hard to be humble. This beer carries a similar taste and color to Pearl Street's Dankenstein IPA. A few years ago when Dan from Beaver Liquors first introduced me to this beer I wasn't even worthy to hold it in my hands. They also make an Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard which is definitely worth the money. 22oz retails $3-5


Readers, lets all turn over a new leaf now that it's fall. Please comment your thoughts on this beer or other beers that are similar.

Please drink up and tell us about it!!!


Cheers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zach, glad to see your back in the habit. I hope all is well for you. I also hope to see you in Madison or the LAX sometime in the near future to hear first-hand how things are for you. Cheers Dude.

BIGRED

Unknown said...

Tried a 6-pack of these for the first time this weekend - I normally don't like anything uber-hoppy like IPA's or Pale Ales, but this was definetly a perfect mix... tasty AND strong - Also, SO to their bitter chocolate stout!

ZRC said...

Nate glad that you liked the Stone Brews. Bitter Chocolate Stout sounds fricken glorious, I am gonna keep my eyes open. It is now Stout and Porter season!

Anonymous said...

More posts goddang it all!!! Im hoping you ll be stocking the great PSB beers sometime in the near future!!!!!!!! Miss ya man

ZRC said...

Good one Mark! Miss you guys, hope everything is going well and hope you and your fam enjoy a happy holiday.

Good Luck to your crappy football team in the playoffs.

Rate Beer

Wine Spectator